Time Strategies

Time by Sean MacEntee: Flickr

What is ironic is that I was thinking about how to improve my time management skills regarding these course assignments earlier this week, without even realizing I would soon have a time management assignment to complete. The reason those thoughts came about is because I have consistently been spending 1-2 hours on assignments that should take 45 minutes. This is not unique to this class; it has been a struggle for a while now. I do not spend so much time on assignments because of procrastination or because I take breaks every couple of minutes. It is simply because I want each assignment to be perfect, to be something that I am satisfied with submitting. So, I spend longer than necessary to achieve that, but I rarely reach the outcome I hope for. The first article I read called “The Important Habit of Just Starting” touched on perfectionism and its negative side effects on one's work ethic. Most of the article, while helpful and important to keep in mind when working on tasks or projects, did not really resonate with me as much as the section on perfectionism did. Not only does leaving this mindset behind allow for personal and professional growth but it also means that I could spend as much time and energy on my other courses or tasks as I do for this course. The second article I read was “3 Steps to Recapture Time”. This article does not solely cover time management in a work/academic environment; following the steps that the author outlined can improve one’s time management in all areas of their life, like social, personal wellness and health, etc. I especially enjoyed this article for that reason. Finding balance in every aspect of one's life is easy to cast aside or forget when you are so focused on just one, like school or work. That is why the fact that these 3 steps can applied in almost every area is so useful to remember when finding that balance or that happy place.

I was very intentional with the courses I enrolled in this semester. I knew I would be busy with the campus organization I am involved with, so I wanted to take courses that would be enjoyable and give me as much time as possible to focus on my organization’s events. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate to be this busy so early in the semester, so managing my time efficiently early on will be my priority. I do not have a plan of action yet, but I am also not too worried because I know I am getting back in the groove of life at school right now and working on establishing a routine, and all of this stress will settle down (not go away though) once I settle into a routine. However, even though I do not have a plan yet, the articles I read plus the many more available are just few resources that can help me towards my goal.

Comments