Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata Part A

I had heard about the Mahabharata before, mostly that the story was a little strange. I really wanted to keep an open mind while reading it, but I have found some of the stories to be very odd and at times cringey to read, even though I knew it would be an unrealistic story. With that being said, I have enjoyed many of the tales thus far. While there are a lot of characters in this epic, I am, surprisingly, keeping track of them easily. Of the subplots and character arcs in this story, I am especially intrigued about what will come from the conflict between Amba/Shikhandin and Bhishma. Their story stood out to me. When Drupana was introduced towards the end of the readings, I anticipated that I was about to be reintroduced to their story, and I am excited to read how it will play out.

“Amba Prays to the Gods”
  • Summary:
    • Amba asked the warrior Parashurama to fight his student Bhishma to avenge her, but after days of fighting Parashurama was unable to defeat him. She turned to the gods to help her defeat Bhishma. Amba went to the top of a mountain and waited for years until the good answered her prayers. When Shiva finally came to her, Shiva told her that she could not avenge herself and kill Bhishma in this life, but that was not what she was hoping to hear. She killed herself. She would later be reborn to fulfill her fate.
“Drupada Prays for Children”
  • Summary:
    • Drona humiliated King Drupana, so Drupana asked Shiva for sons to kill Bhishma and Drona and for a daughter to destroy their kingdom to the ground. Shiva complied. Drupana’s first child was a daughter named Shikhandini, but Drupana raised her as a boy because he believed this child would be the one to kill Bhishma. This child is the reincarnation of Amba. Then, his second son and daughter were born from a sacred fire.
Lord Shiva: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata by Laura Gibbs, Part A
                    Page 2, Tale 14 and Page 5, Tale 42

Comments